Asthma attacks can be terrifying experiences in general, but this is even truer when it comes to children experiencing an asthma attack. If a parent suspects even slightly that their child may have asthma, they should bring them in for Asthma Testing in Starkville MS to find out for sure. This way, a plan of action can be drawn up in advance if an emergency happens.
The symptoms of an asthma attack are fairly easy to spot. These can include:
* Shortness of breath or very rapid breathing
* Wheezing when drawing a breath or when exhaling
* Panic attacks
* Tightening of the neck muscles or chest muscles (this is referred to as retractions)
It is very important that the child knows how to spot the symptoms themselves. This way, if the parent is not present, they know to start the plan of action.
Plan Of Action
A typical or generalized, plan of action should contain at least some of the following steps and should be shared with the clinic who conducted the Asthma Testing in Starkville MS.
* The first step should always be to remain calm. The immediate acknowledgment of the attack can certainly help with this.
* Call 9-1-1 or alert the nearest medical professional. Every medical professional will be trained to handle an asthma situation.
* Teach the child to try and not cry when the attack is happening. This can worsen both the attack itself and the anxiety that the attack causes. On the opposite end of the spectrum, laughing can also aggravate the asthma attack. When the child is soothing themselves, they should only smile when putting themselves in a happy state.
It is crucial that the parent alert others who are in contact with the child that the child has asthma and what the plan of action consists of. These people may include teachers, relatives, babysitters, coaches, and others. By allowing everyone to know the plan, it lessens the risk of anything more dangerous happening with the child.
Visit our clinic and get the child tested at the first suspicion that they have asthma. By getting this done as quickly as possible, an adequate plan can be developed.