Pulmonologists diagnose and treat respiratory diseases, or in other words, the organs you use to breathe. Short-lived illnesses like the flu or pneumonia can be taken care of by a regular doctor. However, if your cough lasts or symptoms do not improve, you may need a pulmonologist.
Pulmonology is one of internal medicine’s many fields, and it focuses on the following:
• Voice Box
• Bronchial Tubes
A pulmonologist might treat you for any of the following conditions:
• Asthma: This disease narrows and inflames the airways, making it tough to breathe.
• COPD: This group of lung diseases includes emphysema and chronic bronchitis.
• Cystic Fibrosis: This gene changes how your genes express, and you start secreting mucus.
• Interstitial Lung Disease: The group of conditions scras and stiffens the lungs.
• Obstructive Sleep Apnea: This condition causes repeated disruptions when sleeping.
• Pulmonary Hypertension: This disease causes high arterial blood pressure.
• Pneumonia: This infection inflames the lung’s alveoli, filling them with pus.
Diagnosis Lung Disease
A pulmonologist in Temecula, CA may use any combination of devices when diagnosing a patient. They usually check blood levels, use a bronchoscopy, and take x-rays. In many cases, they put their patients in a CT scan and look at the interior of their chest. Finally, they may use spirometry to test the lung’s functioning. You breathe into and out of it, and the results say how well you are breathing.