Fighting Your Allergy in Bethlehem PA

by | May 19, 2016 | Allergies

An allergist (also known as an immunologist) is a physician who has completed an additional two to three years of training in the field of asthma, allergy and immunology. They can help patients suffering from asthma, hay fever, sinusitis, food allergies, eczema, and more. If you have anything more than a mild Allergy in Bethlehem PA that can be easily treated with over-the-counter medications, you should consult an allergist. The allergist will confirm exactly what type of allergies a person has through diagnostic tests (a skin test or a blood test) and then put him or her on a treatment plan, a mixture of lifestyle changes at home and work, injections, pills or nasal sprays.

Why consult an allergist above your primary care physician? It can be hard to tell the difference between allergies and other conditions like a cold or flu. And unfortunately, many primary care physicians are not trained at all in allergies. So if you show up at the office with a chronic runny nose and watery eyes, the doctor could recommend over-the-counter medications. On the other hand, an allergist will be able to tell what exactly what you are allergic to when you’re likely to have symptoms and any alternative treatment options.

The most important thing to do is make sure your allergist is board certified. That means they have completed an additional period of two to three years of fellowship training and passed a rigorous board certification exam. This qualifies them for the treatment of allergic, asthma, and immune system diseases. It is best to find out if the allergist you are thinking of going to is truly a specialist and expert. The ACAAI will not allow an allergist to join the organization unless they are board certified.

An Allergy in Bethlehem PA is nothing to joke about. One thing to think of is if you have other problems that you want the allergist to be knowledgeable about. Say you have multiple medical problems, such as high cholesterol and diabetes. In that case, find an allergist who is trained in internal medicine to have an idea of what other medicines you could take. Visit usfor more details.

Like us on Facebook.

Recent Articles



Similar Posts